Built by Edward Woods in 1886, Cameron Lodge was originally named Rahiri, but was christened anew in June 1916 by William Cameron, a director of British American Tobacco. Cameron subsequently created the glorious gardens for which Cameron Lodge is known.
Cameron, who died in 1949, was a merchant who emigrated from Scotland to Virginia. He began exporting tobacco to Australia on a regular basis in 1865, and went on to build tobacco factories in Sydney in 1873, Melbourne in 1878, Adelaide in 1880, and Brisbane in 1889.
In 1903, William Cameron Bros & Co Pty in Melbourne was joined by the Dixson Tobacco Co. to form the British-Australasian Tobacco Co Ltd. William Cameron and Robert Dixson became the directors of this newly formed organisation.